[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Saw blades(Tungsten electrodes?)

----------
From:  Bill the arcstarter [SMTP:arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, March 20, 1998 8:20 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com; HomerLea-at-aol-dot-com
Subject:  Saw blades(Tungsten electrodes?)

It was written:

>         I have not built a rotary yet but have studied their design.
They
>  are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS devices, especially if you spin them up over
5000

>I have not built a rotary yet either. I am going to try to use some
large
>(industrial) saw blades. I have a bunch of large blades, many
>tungsten carbide tipped and I fogure they should be pretty sturdy. If
>anyone has already tried this with disasterous results, please let me
>know.

I've been thinking about trying this myself, and would be interested in
hearing your results.  I think the main problem will be finding a
carbide-tipped sawblade with a coarse enough tooth spacing to prevent
one huge continuous arc from forming.

Also - someone recently mentioned using TIG tungsten contact points,
part number Miller 020603.  I just bought two of these things for $5.50
each from the local welding shop.  They are about 1.5 inches long, by
1/2 inch diameter soft steel.  One end tapers down to a 3/8 inch
diameter, and a 3/8 diam by 3/32 disk of (?tungsten?)  is brazed onto
this tip.

I'd think these tips would be good for the stationary points on such a
rotary gap.  The end is rather wide (3/8) so I would think that using
them on the rotor would cause some difficulties...

But - I've never built a rotary gap so take my advice at face value!

-Bill the arcstarter
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160