[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

30 BPS, 60 BPS tests

----------
From:  FutureT [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, March 20, 1998 6:57 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: 30 BPS, 60 BPS tests

<< snip
> Eventually, a balance must be reached between power dissipated in the
> entire streamer versus the effective power supplied from the coil's
> output. At any given time, the streamer's length will be strongly
> dependent upon streamer root peak temperature, previous streamer length
> and "sinuosity", and a whole host of other factors. Because of negative
> resistance characteristic, higher current flow will tend to make the
> plasma better conducting, allowing the potential of the discharge
> terminal to extend "further out". The important thing is that the length
> of a given streamer will be a function of the past history of the
> channel  <snip

> -- Bert -- >>

Bert, all,

Interestingly, when I did some experiments in which I pulsed a
spark gap TC at about 4 pulses per second, each streamer followed
the path of the previous streamer in most cases, even though the
ion trail was visibly dark for quite a while between pulses.  I wouldn't
have thought it would maintain the ionization that long, it  may have
been just the heat path that did the trick, interesting to watch though.

John Freau