[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

30 BPS, 60 BPS tests

----------
From:  Antonio C. M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Thursday, March 19, 1998 12:16 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: 30 BPS, 60 BPS tests

John H. Couture wrote:

>   I said the secondary circuit because this is an RCL circuit and not just a
> terminal connected to ground. What is the effect of an RF unsymmetrical
> dampened wave in an RCL circuit and operating like a Tesla coil? The charge
> can be and has been measured by several coilers.

Just a comment here. The average (DC) voltage in the secondary of a Tesla
coil without breakout is -zero-, exactly, with any waveform symmetrical or
not. The reason is that transformers do not pass DC, and the linear system
formed by the secondary has no way to generate DC from the AC received.
Of course, voltage peaks can be asymmetrical, but the -average- value of
the voltage must be zero.

With sparks/streamers the situation is different, and an ionized cloud with
a net DC charge may develop around the top terminal and coil. A net DC current
may also flow through the secondary coil, as demonstrated by the experiments
with a capacitor in series with the base of the secondary recently discussed
here. About the polarity of these effects, I am just guessing, but I would suggest
that depends on what is hit by the sparks. A spark going from a point to a plane
results in significant rectification effect, and so the polarity may depend on
the relation between the curvature radius of the top terminal and the one of
what is hit by sparks. Different materials may be also important.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq