[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Where do I get Tungsten welding electrodes?

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, March 19, 1998 1:40 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Where do I get Tungsten welding electrodes?

to: Cliff

TIG tungsten welding rod is fairly brittle.  If the RSG is even slightly
out of balance or wears unevenly dangerous mechanical resonance conditions
can occur that will cause a slight vibration in the material.  This could
lead to stress fractures and eventually a rotor explosion.  We prefer to
use the short screw-in type (1/2 inch dia) and thread them into 1 1/2 inch
long x 1/2 inch dia brass rod which is press fit into the G-10 rotor
material.  The TIG rods are ok in smaller 6 inch dia rotors but unless you
have the experience of an Ed Wingate or other machinists its not a good
idea to try to make a TIG rotor yourself -- mostly due to its brittle
nature.  Would suggest a competent machinist do the work on a turntable and
a gram scale to carefully weigh the components -- also spin balance at up
to 6000 RPM.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>