[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: opened pulse cap

----------
From:  Homer Lea [SMTP:HomerLea-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, March 19, 1998 1:06 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  opened pulse cap

>I finally got one of my 60 kv 1,8 uf caps open. It is 12 sections each about
1 1/2 x 10 x 26 inches (not measured), all wired in parallel so  .15 uf per
section.

I just unwound the first couple layers. The cap is made of strips of foil
spaced apart with a second layer spaced alternately to give the effect of
several caps in series. This double layered arrangement is then rolled up in a
flattened coil. I will try to illustrate

Only the end two strips have an electrical connection (marked "con"). The ends
are soldered with some kind of aluminum solder to tinned copper strips. Does
anyone know how to connect the end foil back after rerolling part of the
capacitor. Not only is it covered with oil but aluminum is hard to solder.
Would some kind of compression connection be good enough? More news as I
progress.

jim heagy