[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sanity Check for me

----------
From:  Chuck Curran [SMTP:ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 17, 1998 9:21 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Sanity Check for me

Michael:

There is a growing number of Coiler's whose families are pretty sure we are
all a bit touched, based on this hobby!  The bigger the coil the more
kidding you will get.  I made a coil last year with 15 1/4 " O.D. PVC sewer
pipe and I was pleased with the results.  I took the piece I had and let it
sit in my basement for a long time, a basement with about 20-30% relative
humidity.  I wiped down the I.D and O.D. with xylene and then coated it with
a clear polyurethane sealant.  So far, it has worked well enough to keep me
content.

The advice that you already received is important enough so I'll repeat it.
I would highly recommend going with a heavy wire gauge, at least #16 or even
bigger.  The space winding technique is what I am currently going to use on
the coil I am presently building.  Bert offered very good advice in this
area.  The PVC form I mentioned above I did not space wind, but the new one
will be since it is much bigger.  It might help to list out some estimated
component costs for a big coil like this.  You can always improve on these ,
but these are representative of what you could order them for tomorrow.

10 Kw pole pig--$290.00 from T&R Electric (changes by the day)
Superior 1256D auto transformer 0280 VAC -at- 28 amps--$300.00 from C & H
Supply (used)   about $800.00 new.
Current limiting arc welder--$190.00   any Builders Square,  or Home Depot
type store
Pulse Discharge Caps, new  -- .025 mfd $210.00,    .05 mfd $540.00,   .1 mfd
$580.00  (recent quote from Plastic Capacitors, Inc., last two)
Copper Magnet Wire for Secondary--Figure $4.00 per pound and up as a minimum

That's just the big items.  Now add to that the various other required
details, meters, current transformers, contactors, hook up wire, crimp
connectors, cords and plugs, rotary gap, cabinet, coil base, EMI/RFI
filtering, toroid,  ground system, primary copper tube -- yup, it's easy to
spend a bit pretty quick.  Then when your all done and it is debugged and
working, you'll go out and make sure to take some good timed exposure
pictures and have a few enlargements made--might have to buy a camera!

It 's really a great hobby and it can be done for much less if you have Ham
Fests that occur near you.  Many items can be picked up at a fraction of
their normal list price.  I've had a great time building my coils and I'd
highly recommend going for it with your big form, if you've already built a
number of smaller systems--just skip some mortgage payments!!  Have fun with
your project, you will not be wasting your time.

Chuck