[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oddball Oudin Coil

----------
From:  Gregory R. Hunter [SMTP:ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, March 12, 1998 3:21 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Oddball Oudin Coil

Coiler Types,

Many years ago, I read an article in an old hardcover book published
by Scientific American Magazine.  The author described building a
kicker-type coil, which he called an Oudin coil, using a Model-T
ignition coil.  He removed the secondary coil, but left it intact.
He rewound the iron core with lots of magnet wire, and retained the
interrupter assembly.  This was the "kicker" coil. Next, he
re-potted the old secondary winding inside a plastic sleeve and wound
the outside of the sleeve with 5 turns of copper tube.  I can't
remember what he used for a capacitor.  With the kicker coil
interrupter buzzing, the repotted secondary (now air-cored) put out
about 75KV.  Very interesting gadget. He used it to drive a homebrew
X-Ray tube.  I wonder why the multi-layer secondary coil didn't flash
over to itself?  If this physics hacker is still alive, he should
join this list--he'd fit right in.

Recalling the old article raises a question.  How does a compact,
multi-layer winding compare with a traditional single-layer resonator
in terms of inductance, Q, resonant voltage rise, etc?  If not for
the insulation problem, could a physically compact, multi-layer choke
perform as well as a longer, single-layer resonator?  Would such a
choke exhibit voltage rise due to impedance ratio, like a Tesla coil,
or would voltage rise be due to turns ratio, like a regular
transformer?

Just wondering.

Cheers,

Greg