[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ideas for measuring voltages of Tesla coils

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Monday, March 09, 1998 6:51 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Ideas for measuring voltages of Tesla coils

to: Jim

We made a field mill generating voltmeter a few years back and drive it
with an 1800 RPM synchronous motor.  You are correct -- the measured peak
potential from a resonance transformer is in close agreement with our
measurements using x-rays to determine the peak output potential.  We used
a 150 kV power supply to calibrate the TC by applying this to the HV toroid
with the wire connection removed.  It works and the field mill meter is
relatively easy to make.  Machining costs are relatively low -- only
required to cut out precisely the "butterfly wings" required for a
sinusoidal output although this is not really necessary with short duration
pulses.  We also use this machine to calibrate the output potential on our
VDGRF generators.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net