[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Gaps and tank Q

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Sunday, March 08, 1998 3:57 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Gaps and tank Q

Hi John,

The higher the primary voltage, the less significant more gaps becomes
as each has a relatively small voltage drop associated with it. For
gap currents significantly greater than 10A the drop seems to bottom
out at a pretty low value. For coils running with Vp's on the order of
8kV I wouldn't use more than two in series but for something running
18kV I'd be happy with six to help quenching.

> Probably a high surge impedance primary is more tolerant of multiple
> gaps, since the the gap losses tend to be a smaller percentage of
> total tank losses in the high surge impedance primary case.  Has
> anyone looked at this?

The surge impedance appears to dictate the decrement slope
(assuming Rp is negligible which it usually is) and in conjunction
with Vp largely dictates gap current which then dictates loss per gap
(higher current = higher loss). However, the loss is demonstrably
pretty small compared with peak tank power if surge impedance is high.
No exact figures sorry. I am planning to take a day off work soon to
do some measurements on a mag system I'm working on so I could do
some on this as well.

Malcolm