[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Two strang things my testing has found???

----------
From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent:  Saturday, March 07, 1998 10:47 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Two strang things my testing has found???

        I have been looking at voltage and current waveforms now for a few
days with my VI probe and there are two issue I would like to request
information on.

        First-  The output terminals of my 15000 volt, 60 mAmp neon
transformer seem to have about 150pF across them internally (like a big
parasitic capacitance).  This is causing some current spikes with certain
input filter circuits.  Other filter circuit do better because of this.
Anyone ever ran into this before????

        Second- Just before the primary spark gap fires there is a little
current pulse I am seeing.  It is about 10% of the real initial pulse but it
has opposite polarity.  Very strange.  I far as I can tell the pulse is real
and not a glitch or anything.  It seems to almost always be there.  If
anyone has any information on this I would love to here your thoughts.  I
will try to get a picture of it on my web page
(www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/Tesla/Main.html) ASAP.

        I have made a number of improvements to my system and it is working
very well :-)  My spice models and the actual results now show excellent
correlation since these improvements.  The little spark gap pulse does not
show up in the models.  However, I use perfect switches and such in the
models.  This may be hiding something that happens in real systems like this
pulse.  I have completely overcome the bandwidth issue with redesigned
transducers.  Now even the voltages and currents show perfect 90 degree
phase differences and the levels are all correct! I will write up more
information as time permits.  I am working on detailed planes for the probe
and will publish them when the design is stable.
        I am begining to set up for real TC tests using this equipment
rather than the test circuits I have been using so far.  Now that I have the
VI probe working so well, it is time to really turn it loose. :-))

Thanks

        Terry
        terryf-at-verinet-dot-com