[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

30 BPS, 60 BPS tests

----------
From:  FutureT [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, March 06, 1998 8:04 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  30 BPS, 60 BPS tests

All,

I did some more tests with the sync gap TC at 60 BPS.  At 400 watts
it gave 31" sparks, at 480 watts it gave 36" sparks, and at 640 watts
it produces 46" sparks.  At 600 watts it gives 45" sparks.  Below 400
watts it runs very weakly.  For the 400 watt test, I had to replace the
5" x 20" toroid with a 4" x 17" toroid to obtain adequate break out.
These are some of my best results so far.  I don't know how accurate
the wattmeter is when only one polarity of the AC is loaded in this way.
Perhaps I'll set up the thermocouple ammeter to see what gives.  The
sparks have a nice way of surging out to long lengths in this coil, I'll
discuss this surging in another post.

I also tried 30 BPS, but results were poor.  The sparks emitted from all
around the toroid and were very short. This low break-rate seemed
unable to maintain a properly ionized streamer with this coil
configuration, both with the original sized capacitor, and when the
cap size was doubled.  It produced an interesting sound however.

The coil was powered in all tests by a 14.4kV, 1.5kVA potential
transformer with an adjustable inductive ballast.

John Freau