[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

capacitor discharge

----------
From:  C.D. Rakes [SMTP:cdrakes-at-ipa-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, March 05, 1998 10:04 AM
To:  Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  capacitor discharge

Hi, This is my first inquiry to the Tesla list and what I would like help
with is not actually Tesla coiling, but does have to do with high voltage.
 Many year ago I purchased 10  70-uF, 10,000-volt pulse type capacitors,
and had hoped to use them in a rail gun experiment.  What I've have done is
to connect two of these capacitors in series to use as a capacitor
discharge system to experiment with high energy electromagnetic fields.
I'm using a heavy duty 5750-volt plate supply transformer to charge each of
the capacitors to the transformer's peak voltage, which should be somewhere
near 8-KV.  Since they are in series the total voltage would be around
16-KV.   What I would like to know is how far apart must the discharge
electrodes (which are two, 2-inch trailer hitch balls) be positioned to
avoid self discharge?    I've seen several experimenters using a steel ball
as the discharging element, but I would like to consider using an
insulating material, such as Plexiglas or similar material, that would be
placed between closed spaced balls and quickly removed to allow the gap to
fire.   Would appreciate any suggestions and ideas.
Thanks in advance,
Charles Rakes