[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

JHCTES and Magnifier #13 (correction)

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, March 05, 1998 11:53 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  JHCTES and Magnifier #13  (correction)

>Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 17:01:07
>To: "Tesla List"  <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>Subject: JHCTES and Magnifier #13
>

>  Richard Hull, Jim McVey, All -
>
>  The data that Richard hull posted Mar 1,98 on his Magnifier # 13 has
given me an opportunity to run a sample printout on the JHCTES program. The
program is for classical coils but Jim McVey's post of the same date gave me
an idea. Jim suggested that the magnifier may resonate as a coil system where
>  L1C1 = (L2+C2)*(L3+C3).    The program is for dual circuits consisting of
a primary and secondary. I realized the program secondary circuit could be a
combination of the secondary coil and resonator. I tried doing this with the
program and came up with some interesting results.

>  The resonator inductance and terminals are by far the larger and
dominating L and C for the secondary circuit. Richard did not give the L and
C for the resonator but did give the resonant frequency of 200 KHZ. I
assumed this was a true representation of the other coil parameters. There
are many possibilities for L and C for an 8" x 8" resonator with terminals.
However, the L and C values are fixed by the frequency. I picked a
combination of parameters I thought would be typical for a resonator.

>  The data for the primary circuit that was given by Richard was enough to
find a resonant frequency using about 8 primary turns (64 uh). With the
primary circuit and the resonator parameters it was possible to design the #
13 magnifier using the JHCTES program.

>  For those who have the Ver 2.3 program the inputs and outputs are as follows:
>
>     INPUTS -
>     Watts                        450
>     Coil type
>     Pri RMS volts                 7500
>     Pri cap uf                   .01
>     Pri radius ins             8.31
>     Pri turns per inch              5
>
>     Resonator radius ins         4.0
>     Resonator turns               428
>     Turns per inch                55
>     Bare wire dia ins          .0159      #26 AWG
>     Resonator terms  pf        16     12 x 3 plus 14" half sphere
>
>     OUTPUTS -
>     Oper freq  KHZ               200.25   From Richard's tests
>     Sec coil lgt ins                  7.8
>     Total sec cap  pf             24.55
>     Total sec ind    mh           25.75
>     Resonator volts  KV         341.8
>
>      Primary ind   uh             63.13
>      Pri turns                        8.42
>     Watts per ft spark          346.6
>      Spark lgt ins                   15.58
>      Overall eff %                   57.7
>
>  Note that the L1C1 = (L2C2+L3C3)*(C2+C3)  equation is satisfied. For
example the inductance for the resonator would be  25.75 mh minus 900 uh or
24.85 mh. The primary tap would be either the 52 or 64 uh tap depending on
the inductance of the wiring connections. the nameplate wattage of 450 was
used because this is how the program was developed.

>  The program continuous spark length of 15.58 inches is close to the 16
inches that Richard found in his tests. It will be interesting to see how
this accuracy stands up with additional magnifier tests.

>The program indicates the spark length is about the same for the classical
coil and the magnifier. However, Richard might be on to something. He said
the spark was very intense and noisy. Could it be that the magnifier puts
out more POWER than the classical coil by producing more current instead of
more voltage (spark length)? I have never heard this mentioned before.

>  The program in its present stage is user friendly for classical coils but
is difficult to use for magnifiers. I will change it later if it proves to
be useful for magnifiers. I adjusted the input parameters to give the 200
KHZ to agree with the parameters that Richard gave. This requires a complete
understanding of how the program of this type works. If you have the program
and are having trouble inputing your magnifier, please let me know.

>  An important question now for magnifiers is what should be used for the
secondary coil? Because the secondary coil inductance and capacitance is so
much smaller than the resonator it is obvious that the function of the sec
coil is to furnish power to the resonator. Because the voltage is relatively
low the current must be high. This means the wiring for the sec coil should
be large.

(correction)
Note in the printout the sec/pri turns ratio is 43/8.42 = 5.1  The pri peak
volts are 7500 x 1.4 = 10.5 KV. The secondary voltage is 10.5 x 5.1 = 53.5
KV . This is the impressive 1" plus spark that Richard found across the
secondary (driver). The voltage gain of the system is 341.8/10.5 = 32.6
total. This is close to what the Corum's mentioned in their writings.
Richard, there are other resonator possibilities, what were the 8 x 8
resonator turns, wire size, and inductance?

>  The power gain is more difficult to determine because the currents are
hard to find. The program shows a 94 amp current in the primary circuit. I
do not know what this gives in the resonator of a magnifier. Are there any
comments?