[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pyrex diss. factor

----------
From:  Alfred A. Skrocki [SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 04, 1998 6:49 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Pyrex diss. factor

On Saturday, February 28, 1998 10:55 AM Edward V. Phillips
[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu] wrote;

>> "Glass of all types has large R.F. absorption ie high power factor and
>> as such is a poor choice for any part in a Tesla coil! The same poor
>> performace yielded from salt water/bottle capacitors and glass plate
>>capacitors can be expected from using glass as a secondary form! Much
>>better to use PVC or better still polyethylene or the best of them all
>> Teflon! Although the last one will bankrupt you for sure. Heck even well
>> baked out cardboard tubing that is saturated with polyurethane and
>>allowed to dry under heat is superior to glass!"

>  Not inclined to agree.  My guess is that you couldn't find any
> measurable difference in the unloaded Q of a coil wound on a glass
> form of typical TC dimensions and one wound on polystyrene, which is
> a much better insulator.  There just isn't enough of the electric
> field in the form to make much difference.  By the way, my copy of
> "REFERENCE DATA FOR ENGINEERS" lists the dissipation factor of
> pyrex as 0.0036 at 1 MHz, which isn't bad at all.

Whether you agree or not the fact is I have made numerous secondaries
using various materials and glass including pyrex were amoung the worse!
Like I said a properly baked out cardboard tube saturated with
polyurethane has much less losses than ALL types of glass! If you don't
believe me then try it!

                                       Sincerely

                                        \\\|///
                                      \\  ~ ~  //
                                       (  -at- -at-  )
                                   Alfred A. Skrocki
                               Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                           alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                      Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at;
                       http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251
                                     .ooo0   0ooo.
                                       \_)   (_/