[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnifier #13 and a small coil.

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 03, 1998 3:21 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Magnifier #13 and a small coil.

Hi Richard,
              Thanks for an exceedingly interesting post,
particularly of the small coil. I hope to have one of my own
featuring the folded resonator soon (which BTW I fired sshot last
night with a rather large terminal and no real tuning - in fact I
stuck on the large terminal to get it closer to tune). After
difficulties with corona and occasional hot sparks leaping
between the f.r. and its primary, it looks as if it would be well
suited to use as a magnifier.

     I see you've well and truly beaten me at the 30VA mark. With
regard to the magnifier, the 150W/foot at two feet was impressive.

<snip>

> A SMALL COIL:
>
> I have long worked with efficient little two coil systems.  I have demoed
> them to the amusement and amazement of many at the Teslathons here.  The
> latest is based on just how much arc one can extract from a small amount of
> energy.
<snip>

> When tuned and fired in the circuit above, I got 7.8" of arc to a 2" round
> grounded ball.  This was with 48 volts in from the variac and the watt meter
> read 28 VA.   The secret was to take the variac up to where the gap fired
> and then advance it to the point where I got the maximum number of firings
> per half cycle (3-4), and no further.  This occured at 48 volts into the
> transformer primary.
>
> Pretty stunning performance.  I was able to light a neon tube of 3 feet
> length over 4 feet away from the unbreaking out system.  Fluoresent tubes
> would stay lit a little bit farther away.  This is the best small system I
> have ever assembled.
>

> Richard Hull, TCBOR

This might be regarded as playing with figures but I calculated the
internal impedance of the transformer, found the "matching
capacitance value" and then divided this by the capacitance you
actually used. I got a result of 8  (firings per cycle?).

     Again, thanks for sharing your results and data.

Regards,
Malcolm