[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

High Voltage Diodes

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, March 01, 1998 6:56 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: High Voltage Diodes

to: Rod

HV diodes have a certain "breakover" voltage before they begin to conduct.
Most HV diodes require 300-500 volts for effective testing.  We use a 5 kV
xmfr and then use a series of NE-s neon lamps and large HV resistors to
check HV diode strings.  The lamps indicate the relative leaking current at
10 ma, 1 ma, 1/2 ma, and 1/10th ma.  We use the same system to check HV
caps for leakage as many won't breakdown at lower potentials but will start
corona leaking at higher potentials as they go bad.  You can not use a
simple low voltage multimeter type instrument to check HV diodes as you
discovered.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net