[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measuring Voltages, etc...

----------
From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, March 01, 1998 1:22 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Measuring Voltages, etc...

Andrew,
        I have been having great luck with my fiber-optic VI probe.

There is preliminary info at:

www.verinet-dot-com/~terryf/Tesla/Projects/VIProbe/VIProbe.html

Also a zip file with pictures at:

www.verinet-dot-com/~terryf/Tesla/Projects/VIProbe/PROBE.ZIP

A paper I wrote is also available at:

www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/Tesla/PriCir.html

The first two URLs are a quickly put together description of the probe.  The
last URL is a paper I wrote that uses the probe.  All have lots of pictures
and such.  Of course, the advantage of the fiber optics is total electrical
isolation from the tesla coil.  I am working on another paper that describes
how a NST protection filter performs that uses the prob to measure the NSTs
currents and voltages.  It should be up very soon.

        Terry
        terryf-at-verinet-dot-com

At 10:34 AM 3/1/98 -0600, you wrote:

read, I have built a 4" coil, which is consistently producing 16"-18" sparks.

>What I want to do now is to take a voltage measurements and look at
waveforms on the oscilliscope.  The thing is, I don't exactly know how to
hook up the equipment to the tesla coil.  Putting aside the fear of frying
my equipment, could someone tell me how to hook up these various instruments
to take reliable readings.