[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ballast?

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, February 28, 1998 4:57 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Ballast?

* the other had two pairs of wires coming out.

For running fluorescent lamps.  Several varieties exist, but essentially,
they are a 700V (or so) current limited source. The 700V is enough to
ionize the Hg vapor in the tube, then once the discharge is established,
the series inductance limits the current to the rating.  Often, they have
provision for heating the filaments as well... Depends if it is a "rapid
start" or conventional.