[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

health hazords

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, June 28, 1998 12:17 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: health hazords

> From:  Michael Tucknott [SMTP:Michael.Tucknott-at-virgin-dot-net]
> Sent:  Friday, May 08, 1998 11:50 AM
> To:  Tesla List
> Subject:  health hazords
>
> Hi all

* Does any one on the list know the effects of ozone on the human body?.

It is bad, but probably not real bad. Ozone is highly reactive and a
powerful oxidizer. I don't know if it is carcinogenic or has any chronic
effects.  I would worry more about nitrogen oxides than ozone. If you are
producing ozone, you are probably also producing NOx.

> Also what other gasses are produced by an active Tesla coil and what
> harm can they do.
> Is it possible for a coil to produce X-rays when experimenting with
> different objects on top of a coil and having the streamers
> discharging through them eg light bulbs/fluorescent tubes/radio
* valve etc.

Any time you have high voltage (>10kV) and high vacuum you can make x-rays.
I shouldn't think that a fluorescent tube would give problems, since it is
full of mercury vapor, nor an ordinary household incandescent (full of
nitrogen, argon, or krypton), but I would be careful about high vacuum
tubes. Recall that a run of the mill Tesla Coil doesn't put out much
current, so the flux of xrays produced will be low.

Others on the list can provide more info.