[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Small tesla coil (1sq ft) findings (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:20:17 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Small tesla coil (1sq ft) findings

I might be able to help:

I did design a 30W+ true flyback switcher (custom designed
transformer and all) which I published on the HVLIST for those
interested. With a much improved output smoothing cap, it generates
nearly 20kVDC. It is one of my key pieces of test gear for
investigating TC operation. I do run very small coils from it
repetitively for a laff but it is really used for serious single shot
testing on much larger coils.

     I currently have a new design on the drawing board for direct
offline charging. Output capacity is 700W+. The transformer is built
and waiting for me to get around to doing some more construction of
the electronics when time permits.

     My love affair with constant power switchers has to do with
knowing accurately the primary power the coils are running from
so making meaningful comparisons possible. Quenching is a breeze and
I have a scheme on the drawing board involving optical feedback from
the gap to assist with quenching at higher power levels by shutting
the circuit down. Close the gap up and watch BPS rise in proportion.

Malcolm
<snip>