[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Small tesla coil (1sq ft) findings

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:James.P.Lux-at-jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 23, 1998 11:06 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Small tesla coil (1sq ft) findings

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

here are some typical alkaline battery capacities:

D - 13000 mA hr
C -  7000 mA hr
AA - 2450 mA hr
9V -  565 mA hr

NiCd's are about 1/3 the capacity, that is a D NiCd is 4300 mA hr.

You can pull C/4 from a battery safely for a long period. That is, the D
cell can supply about 3 Amps until it goes dead. NiCd's can supply much
higher peak currents ( to the point where they are a fire hazard when
shorted).

BTW, "dead" for a standard battery is 0.9V/cell out of a nominal
1.5V/cell.  NiCd's, of course, are different.