[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Mutual Inductance (was Flat Primary Winding - next question)

----------
From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, June 21, 1998 12:13 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Mutual Inductance (was Flat Primary Winding - next   question)

Just for clarity,

The coil in case A has the following parameters:

PRIMARY
15,000 volt 60 mA neon input (variac controlled)
17.05nF primary cap
8.84 inch avarage radius flat spiral primary of 1/4 inch tubing.
5.67 inch wide coil section
Lp = 118.4 uH
Fo = 112.0 kHz

SECONDARY
5.13 inch radius
1000 turns
33.33 turns per inch
0.02002 bare wire diameter
Ls = 75.4 mH
Cself = 16.68 pF
Ctop = 10.10 pF

The JHCTES program gives a K of 0.21 and m = 602.04 uH.

Mark's program gives a K of 2.01 and m = 635.96 uH.

The actual K is 0.2069 and m is 618.19 uH.

The thing I really like about Mark's program is that it predicts K for
various coil heights.
My coil will not quench well with a K of 0.21.  I have to raise the coil
about 2 inches to get a clean quench.
Mark's program very accurately predicts the K at various heights.  The
JHCTES program omits this input because of "lack of emperical data" (page
11-1 Tesla Coil notebook).  Perhaps John could add this feature to JHCTES??

        Terry Fritz

At 08:09 PM 6/20/98 -0500, you wrote:

System A)