[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Flat Primary Winding - next question

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Wednesday, June 17, 1998 6:58 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Flat Primary Winding - next question

Hi Larry,

Experiment suggests this is true. Overall Ksys for a magnifier depends
on Kdriver and the proportion of total secondary in the driver i.e.
Ksys might follow a law something like:

    Ksys = Kdriver x Lsec/(Lsec + Lextra)

Plugging the figures in from my own little magnifier setup shows this
isn't the correct law but you get the idea. Taking the square root of
Lsec/(Lsec + Lextra) seems to get close.  Must check sometime.

>  I envision the
> > transition zone from conventional two-coil TC to magnifier extra coil would
> > be a gradual effect, depending on how the primary magnetic flux was shaped
> > and intercepted the secondary.  I suppose the answer to this probably
> > doesn't affect how to build decent coils, but perhaps it could lead to
> > better understanding of how our beloved TCs actually do their thing.
> > Comments?

> > Lastly, wouldn't it be interesting to actually map the magnetic flux
> > between primary and secondary (and floor and whatever else) to better
> > visualize how concentrated or distributed the magnetic coupling actually
> > is?  I have seen posts which suggest the visual purple air ionization
> > visible between primary and secondary has something to do with magnetic
> > coupling.  I believe the effect is purely high voltage ionization of air
> > and is not an indicator of anything going on magnetically.  Comments?

Agree.

>     Wow.  I'm a relative newcomer here, and the amount I learn from reading
> these posts is amazing.  Two weeks ago, I didn't even know what a magnifier
> *was* (not that I can exactly explain it now, except that it has a third
> coil which is not magnetically coupled to either of the first two <g>), but
> anyway...
>
>     As I read this post, a potential qualitative way of getting an idea
> of just how big the field from the primary is at different heights came to mind.
> I wonder if it would be useful:
>
>     Remove the secondary (as I'm sure one might not wish to get zapped with
> the output from some TC's - or, at least for sure, the dreaded warthog <g>).
> Then, just fire up the primary circuit and let it go.  Get a piece of paper
> covered with ferric dust, start at a height corresponding to the height of the
> sec'y, and see if the dust is perturbed.  Move down slowly.....

Not a good idea unless you want to wreck your primary capacitor.

Malcolm