[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

JHCTES TC Program (was Round vs flattened primary tubing)

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, June 12, 1998 7:27 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: JHCTES TC Program (was Round vs flattened primary tubing)

At 10:39 PM 6/11/98 -0500, you wrote:

>----------

  Bert, All -

  I get 12 turns instead of 14.  (25 - 10 = 15/2 =7.5 inch width of spiral
turns
  7.5 / 5 / 8 = 12 turns (72 mh)    7.5 / .375 = 20 turns (201 mh)

  I ran the numbers thru the JHCTES program and found that the 20 turns of
flattened tubing would apparently not make a practical Tesla coil because
the inductance is too great. The secondary coil would be too large to fit
the primary. Some of the 46 JHCTES parameters are shown below.  (Pri spiral
avg rad = 8.75 inches    pri width = 7.5 inches)

  Pri turns                      12          20
  Pri ind mh                   72        201
  Pri cap uf                 .0205       .0074

   Sec dia ins                 6.0       6.0
   Sec turns                1000      1000  (45 TPI)
   Sec AWG                  24         24    (.0201 dia)
   Sec ind mh                36          36
   Sec term pf                30         30

   Pri/Sec clear ins       2.0        2.0
    Oper. freq  KHZ      130       130

   Note that  LpCp = LsCs  so both coils are in tune. The 12 turn
   TC parameters would make a good coil.  However, the
   .0074 uf pri cap necessary to keep the 20 turn system in
   tune would not make a good coil because the pri cap
   is too small for this size TC.

  The pri spiral 10 inch inside dia limits the sec dia to a max
   of about 6 inches to obtain proper clearance between
  coils. This limits the winding length to about 22.2 inches
  for an H/D of 3.7 ratio.

  The advantage of the JHCTES program is that all of the
  parameters can be varied to find many "what if" combinations.
  Many coils have been designed and built using the
  JHCTES program and they have all worked properly.

  Other combinations are possible but appear to present
  problems. A larger toroid? Smaller sec wiring, etc?
  Coilers who have the JHCTES program may want to try
   other combinations.

  Any comments?

  John Couture