[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Gap setting?

----------
From:  Gary Lau  11-Jun-1998 0917 [SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, June 11, 1998 8:34 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Gap setting?

>From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]

<snip>
>With a 30 ma NST you only need 2 or 3 gaps.  Set at .015 inches on each gap
>for .045 inch total.  Try this first and see if it runs with this setting.
<snip>

I don't see how the gap setting is derived from the power supply current
rating.  I would think that it is voltage-dependant, not
current-dependant.  Rather, I would think the current rating would
dictate the required "beefyness" of the gaps, how much heat it must
dissipate, while the voltage rating would dictate the gap spacing.  I
know that for my 15KV/30mA coil, that going from 5 to 10 gaps of .03"
each, made a world of difference in performance.  The suggested gap of
.045 sounds way too short, IMO.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA