[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Secondary resonance freq

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 09, 1998 7:10 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Secondary resonance freq

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Marco, Malcolm, and all,

I've seen the same thing on base-driven resonator measurements. At the
time I attributed it to a measurement problem, and since I was only
concerned with the 1/4 wave response, put it on the back burner.
However, the recent posts by you and Marco got me to thinking about this
a a bit more.

An open-ended resonator excited at 1/4-wave resonance will have a
voltage peak/current null at the far end, since the end is
open-circuited. If we now try to measure the 1/2 wave resonant frequeny
we'd expect to see a voltage null and a current maximum point at the far
end. However, this can only occur if the far end is hard grounded -
otherwise there's nowhere for the current to flow. Similarly, at higher
harmonic frequencies, the "internal" current maxima are not really
seeing hard grounds but are actually driving the remaining upper section
of the resonator. Perhaps this is why the higher frequency harmonics
don't directly conform to simple multiples of the 1/4 wave frequency...

-- Bert --