[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

H-Bridge Rotary. Was Last Erg.

----------
From:  Julian Green [SMTP:julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk]
Sent:  Wednesday, June 10, 1998 4:56 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: H-Bridge Rotary. Was Last Erg.

I have a coil that is powered by a pole pig and has no/little balast.
5 ohms mains wiring resistance at 240 volts - its all down to the spark
gap that I use.

If I use a multi static gap like the richard quick type I have kick back
problems and blowen fuses, lights dim etc.

If I use my rotary which is literally thrown together it runns smooth.
I have an amp meter on my variac and when the coil is running its shows
a steady 12-15 amps depending on how I adjust the spark gap.

The spark gap is based on a 10,000 RPM motor and uses electrodes 1/8"
diameter on a 6" diameter disk, so the dwell time is short.  There's a
picture of it at www-dot-netcomuk.co.uk/~wwl/uktesla.html.

The spark gap is not very good, but it works.   It shows that it is
possible to have a pole pig powered coil with minimal balast.

NOTE:  A coil powered at 8KV using current limiting and richard quick
type spark cap out performed my voil powered by 11KV pole pig and
rotary gap at a recent teslathon :(

Julian Green