[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Secondary resonance freq

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Monday, June 08, 1998 12:20 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Secondary resonance freq

Hi Marco,
            Very good question that deserves an answer:

To All: the following is an attempt at an intuitive picture of what
is going on. Feel free to correct/flame etc. This is right at the
edge of what I know.

     I too have noted such odd spurii in experiments and this was
with end feeding from a 7 Ohm resistive source.

     Without a terminal you are right into free resonator territory.
There is a less well defined boundary at the free end consisting of a
bit more capacitance per turn than the bulk of the resonator than you
get with a terminal stuck on the end. Other capacitances that would
be swamped by a terminal if present are coming into play. You can see
this effect also in bundle wound flyback transformer secondaries. It
makes tuning a plasma globe supply using a driven oscillator an
interesting experience. You can also see it in the analogue of an
unbounded medium such as water in a lake. Ripples of many different
frequencies can co-exist. NB - quartz crystals can also oscillate at
many frequencies but I think most are harmonically related.

     Perhaps I should defer to the RF experts on the list. I feel you
have asked an excellent question which nobody seems to have addressed
and I would be keen to hear more too.

Malcolm