[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

chokes, bad resistors(EMS)

----------
From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, June 04, 1998 8:37 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: chokes, bad resistors(EMS)

Hi Tristan,

        A number of people seem to be having problems burning up resistors.
Resonant rise in the neon secondary (Tesla coil primary) may be a factor.
        I went through and tested my system last night and could find
nothing unusual going on.  However there are others who seem to be able to
fry resistors very easily.  We don't know why!  Perhaps there are some
resistors that have some property that is causing this.  I recommend testing
the resistor with an ohm meter - just to be sure.  And if there is a
"expendable" AC current meter around to put it in series and be sure the
current is what we think it should be.  The meter needs to be isolated from
ground.  The meter should not be harmed but S... happens.
        Until we find out what the problem is here, people should use
resistors with caution.  For some unknown reason some systems seem to burn
them up instantly.

        Terry Fritz