[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Litz Wire Sec + 100kV 20

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 02, 1998 7:36 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Litz Wire Sec + 100kV 20

to: Dale

Our tests were conducted with 8 in and 20 in dia tubes.  I believe there
was either 36 or 40 strands in the wire we used.  The spark length did not
change much but the spark was slightly hotter (brighter) with the Litz wire
but not enough to bother with the additional costs for Litz wire unless you
have an application requiring peak currents for an experiment.

The longest discharge from your 8 in dia coil would depend also a lot on
the power level, cap size ---- all which really depends on the size toroid
on your secondary coil.  A 20 x 5 toroid should work well with this system
running at around 3-4 kva with perhaps 16 or 18 AWG on the sec coil form.
An aspect ratio of 4:1 or 5:1 (length to dia ratio) should provide good
performance.  This would begin to be the borderline for reliable
performance (read -- not breaking down a lot) with heavy formvar magnet
wire.  Above this level we switch to 3 kV PVC (MIL Spec D) wire for all of
our machines and have good results without breakdowns over years of daily
operations.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Litz Wire Sec + 100kV 20

ontemplating winding two andstacking for a larger Sec coil and
transportability.
>   Anyone else interested ?
>
> Sat swapmeet (TRW - Redondo Beach) there was a 2kW 100kV 20ma
> xfmr for $150. The seller had removed the xfmr from its container due to
the
> weight of the oil :( (may still have the container) . It was in excellent
condition,
> two pri windings looked ~#12 awg, core was a loop mounted on a 2'x2"
>  Al plate, all windings on one side with lots insulation in sectioned
windings.
>  Contact me if anyone is interested.
>
> Other stuff: 60A variac for $150, Vacuum switch 50A 20-40kV $40, lots of
vacuum variable caps up to 300 pF and 10kV $100-300   Contact me if anyone
is interested.