[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coil Winding Machine

----------
From:  Chuck Curran [SMTP:ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, June 01, 1998 7:48 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Coil Winding Machine

Mark:

I have had to build two different winding units over the last two years.
The units were both powered by DC motors attached to gear reduction boxes.
I simply built a wooden frame and used the gear motors to drive a shaft
which a slid through the length of the coil form.  A simply drive bracket
was attached to both the shaft and then to the end of the coil form.  The DC
motor was driven by a DC supply in the first case with the voltage
controlled by a autotransformer, to vary the speed.  The second unit was
larger and a variable speed drive was used.

The difficult part is locating all the parts at a reasonable price and then
assembling the components.  The winding is very simple, even when hand
feeding the wire.  I mounted the roll of wire on a wooden form that would
allow it to unroll and then just guided the wire by hand.  It is very easy,
once the unit is set up.  I chose to employ a foot switch in order to have
quick on-off control of the winding.

The shafts that I mentioned above could be wood or steel tube or steel bar
stock like I used due to the weight of the form being wound.  The gear motor
was the bearing on one end, and a mounted bearing, referenced as a pillow
block here in the US, was used on the other.  I do have digitized photo's of
the last one that I did two weeks ago that I could send you if there is any
interest.  Let me know.  I could babble on for another page or so, but I
better stop and just let me know if this is the type of information you
need!

Chuck