[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

PVC Water Absorption: fallacy?

----------
From:  Robert W. Stephens [SMTP:rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, May 31, 1998 1:33 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: PVC Water Absorption: fallacy?

> ----------

Richard, All,

I cannot shed any light on the hygroscopic absobicity of PVC, however
I know that PVC carbon tracks very efficiently with the slightest
application of sprayed on corona, quickly resulting in catastrophic,
deep carbon tracking of the material, and the rapid destruction of a
PVC coilform, or PVC whatever.  A good quality varathane or
better yet a high quality electrical insulating varnish like R-90 or
Glyptol will provide a tough surface coating that in addition to
repelling most harsh chemicals unscathed, will also survive somewhat better
under the typical corona situations seen in TC's than bare PVC material.

Robert W. Stephens
Director
Lindsay Scientific Co.
RR1 Shelburne, ON Canada L0N-1S5
Tel: 1-519-925-1771   Fax:
*Custom built Tesla coils, etc., for museum display
 and special effects work.
*Canada's largest publicly accessible wall-to-wall
 indoor lightning show...by appointment.
*Future home of Electric Science World,
 educational/entertaining Theatre of Electricity.
*Antique TV Museum...in search and acquire mode now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Inquiries welcomed! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~