[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Litz Wire Secondaries

----------
From:  Alan Sharp [SMTP:AlanSharp-at-compuserve-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, May 31, 1998 12:13 PM
To:  INTERNET:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Litz Wire Secondaries

Richard wrote:

>We've talked about dielectric losses in the secondary former, but has
anyone
>compared a Litz wound secondary with a solid core secondary? Litz
consisting
>of 20 strands of 38 AWG provides optimal performance between say 50 kHz
and
>a couple of hundred kHz, but I don't know how much higher the Q would be
>(ignoring loading effects etc of toroid, corona etc).

I read a discussion on this somewhere - can't remember the reference but
the conclusion was that the improvement was marginal, that Litz wire was
very
expensive and it was more economical to raise the Q by going to a larger
diameter
secondary and use thicker solid wire. But if you've got a source of cheap
Litz
wire - go for it!

Have fun,

Alan Sharp