[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Terry's latest gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:05:40 +0930
From: Mark Finnis <mefinnis-at-medicine.adelaide.edu.au>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Terry's latest gap (fwd)

At 09:42 PM 24/07/98 -0600, Terry wrote:

>Hi All,
>        Since my gap seems to be working well for a number of people,  I
>have added a protection gap (5 minutes of work) as an improvement.  Modeling
>of arcs to the primary show that this is very important.  All the details
>have been put into a single big JPG graphic at:
>
>http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/terrygap.jpg
>
>I have never used forced air (fan cooling) but some people are experimenting
>with it.

Thanks Terry.

I have built a couple of gaps just recently.  First stoped working
properly, so built one along the lines of Terry's.  (30 gaps of 0.25 mm =
10 mil).  Worked really well initially.  Did get quite hot, so placed my
trusty fan nearby.  All OK.

But then ........ set fire to wood base, as had placed rows of tubing too
close together, and while the distance was > 2x the summed gaps for the
desired path, still got flames :-(

I suspect this relates to the field concentration at the ends of the tubes
..... so in the interests of others not making the same errors as me.  If
you make a TFG  ( I figure since we have RQG's, we may as well imortalize
Terry as well !) , make sure the spacing between rows of tubing is
sufficient !!!!!

Next.  My gaps are 2.5 x greater than Terry's and the performance of my gap
steadily declined with use.  On inspection, there was BRIDGING
carbon/copper oxide in many of the gaps.  While this did not form a short
circuit, it no doubt does decrement the quenching ability of the gap.

Anyone with similar experience ??   (especially Terry ??)

In active support of the ozone layer ;-)

Mark

Mark Finnis					Hm:  61 8 8289 5205
Consultant, Intensive Care Unit			Wk:  61 8 8222 5042
Royal Adelaide Hospital				Fax: 61 8 8223 6340
Adelaide  SA  5000,   Australia			Mbl: 041 2324268
http://www.health.adelaide.edu.au/icu/