[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Dummy Load (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:48:14 +-100
From: "Gregory R. Hunter" <ghunter-at-enterprise-dot-net>
To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Dummy Load

Dear List,

How much Tesla coil spark can one safely terminate into one's carcass?
I'm asking because when I was a kid I saw a photo in a book of a child
drawing an arc from a Tesla coil with a butter knife.  Looked like she was
pulling about a 6" spark from a table top coil.  This photo so colored my
thinking that I routinely tested my early coils in this manner, confident
that the "skin effect" (described in the same book) would protect me.  So
what is the safe power limit for this sort of thing?  I've pulled arcs
from homebrew coils (up to 380VA) by letting the spark jump to a metal
object in my hand.  I've never been shocked or burned.  I'm afraid to try
it with my 450VA coil.  Should I be?  Is there an upper power limit--or a
lower frequency limit--where this is no longer safe?

Greg

Reluctant to be a Dummy Load in Beck Row, UK