[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Primary Materials (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:57:13 -0500
From: bertpool <bertpool-at-ticnet-dot-com>
To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE: Primary Materials (fwd)

-----Original Message-----
From:	Tesla List [SMTP:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent:	Sunday, July 19, 1998 10:25 PM
To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:	Primary Materials (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 00:42:11 -0500
From: Adam Parker <park_e_r-at-hiwaay-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Primary Materials

>Once again a fledgling coiler has yet another question. Yesterday I made my
>flat pancake coil form out of four pieces of 1/2 inch PVC mounted radially
>on some painted plywood. After making my coilform, I tried winding the
>thing with thin-wall 1/4 copper tubing. I had trouble. The tubing kept
>kinking and never formed a good circle. After struggling with about 6 turns
>I called it quits and removed the tubing.
[snip]
>Adam

Adam, I have seen cheap copper tubing (from Home Depot) which has a very
thin wall, perhaps only 1/3 as thick as real refrigeration tubing.    The Home
Depot tubing is intended for use with low pressure water (less than 100 psi)
systems, such as the ice make on a 'fridge.  It kinks horribly.  Use real
copper refrigeration tubing from a refrigeration equipment supply house, etc.
You will find that it come already formed in a large hand-coil.  Use the
natural curvature of the tubing to advantage - do not first straighten it out!
Wind your pancake from the inside turn to the outer turn.  It helps to put the
tubing on top of a bucket or other pedestal in the center of your coil.

Bert Pool