[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: tuning more accurately than 5% (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 18:33:30 -0400
From: Richard Hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: tuning more accurately than 5% (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

...........................Agreed!  This is very perceptive of you.   So many
neophytes are looking for that dead on +/- 2% bit.  Order of magnitude is
really good accuracy when dealing with a Tesla system or any system relying of
air arcs or other uncontrolable gas related electrical  phenomena.  R. Hull

> For myself, the physicist in me wants to understand how and why it works
> the way it does for which the theoretical discussion is interesting, the
> engineer in me just wants to see it make big sparks with the least effort
> and just a bit of guidance from theory (and avoid that "analysis
> paralysis". And, I'm not a craftsman, so I'm not going to try and get the
> last 0.001% out of it.   If I want bigger sparks, I'll build a bigger coil.
>
> Good enough, is...
>
> (although others will certainly disagree)

Your perspective is mine, precisely!  I am much more of a physicist than I was
10 years ago and am much humbled by the magesty and mystery that man is yet
unable to deal with even in a simple system like the Tesla coil.

So, long arcs it is .....with mystery and magesty for all....

Richard Hull