[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: another coil-form alternative ? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 06:09:16 -0500 (CDT)
From: Larry Bud Melman <gasman-at-althea.a-line-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: another coil-form alternative ? (fwd)

> >     I've been thiMking ---- (dangerous , i know :>)  ) --- of the possible
> > applications of roll roofing "tar paper "as a coil form ----
> > It is asphault impregnated paper --- if heated moderately
> > with a heat gun & rolled into a tube -- with perhaps a little
> > glue or extra tar --- it could be made to bond & make a usable coil-form --- ?
> >    Jus' another thiMk
> > Sandy

	I really like that idea (been looking for 16 - 20 in x 48 - 60 in
(preserving a 3:1 H/D ratio) coilform for several weeks now).  If I cannot
find a suitable section of PVC or HDPE, I think I will try this.  It'll be
an ideal candidate for a good base to apply multiple laminae of the
fiberglass resin I was talking about.

	Main prob I see is keeping it perfectly round - prob really only
an asthetic issue, and solvable by making a few round drywall, cardboard
or paneling disks of appropriate diameter to wind the tarpaper around.
the 'width' of the paper would have to represent the circumference of
the form, and if that is 48" (if memory serves), then the max diameter
would be.....(!-at-#$%^&*) 15.2 inches....

	Unless augmented in "width" with another strip....not difficult....

						Clay