[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 30 9 mil gaps, great quenching (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:13:52 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: 30 9 mil gaps, great quenching (fwd)

Erik,

How many gaps were you using originally in the RQ gap, what were
their spacing, and how many did you actually use of the 30 new 9
mil spaced gaps?

Thanks for your interesting report.

John Freau

<<
 Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 21:38:18 EDT
 From: ESchulz531-at-aol-dot-com
 To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
 Subject: 30 9 mil gaps, great quenching

 Hello,
 	I have bin using a RQG with forced air and have bin getting 3rd notch
 quenches, Then I switched to a RQG with a vacuum cleaner pulling air through
 it.  This gave me 2nd notch quenching.  At this point I was getting 33"
 streamers.  I read some of Terry's writing and decided to build a static gap
 that would have 30 gaps that were 9 mils each.  So I built it and connected
it
 into my primary circuit.  Then I stepped back 4 feet and flipped the switch.

 	A huge explosion of sparks came off of the secondary nearly hitting me
 in the arm.  After I moved away another 4 feet and checked my pulse I
 turned it back on.  It was putting out nice 39" streamers on 15KV/60ma NST.
 I checked my scope and noted that it quenched on the first notch every time.
 I was also getting some corona from my strike rails so I replaced the wire
 with copper tubing and it went away.  At this point I was low on time so I
 didn't have a chance to change the coupling.  Ow well, that will be
tomorrow's
 adventure.

 Another day in the life of a college coiler.

 Erik Schulz