[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Request for math (ballasting) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 20:39:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Michael Baumann <baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Request for math (ballasting)

I've got this insane idea to build my own reactor to limit current
to my (soon to be ordered) pig.
Call me nuts, but there is something about kludging a welder
that doesn't seem elegant to me.

Anyway, I am hoping that someone out there that has experience
with the building of iron core inductors can send me the appropriate
equations.

My idea is to take some PVC ( I have 2" and 3.5" ) and stuff it with
iron rods (either round stock or welding rods, not sure which yet) then
wind xxx turns of 10AWG on that, with taps at various points to
give me different power levels.  Hopefully this is not too crazy, and
someone out there can point me to the math needed to compute
the approximate inductance of the iron core coil.

Thanks

--
Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center
San Bernardino, California. (909)799-8308 |Internet: baumann-at-llumc.edu