[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:42:49 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

<< snip> Quenching is
> not changed by coupling but it may be changed by tuning and other
adjustments.
>snip>
 >  John Couture

John, all,

If only that were true....  Then we could all couple our TC's at k = .385,
k = .6, etc, and quench them easily at the first energy transfer or notch.
It won't happen using a spark gap (unless there's a breakthough
in quenching).  Crossed H2 thyratrons can do the job.

Coupling affects the quench because tight coupling causes faster
energy transfer which means there's less time available during the
"notch" for de-ionization to occur within the gap.  Also, fast energy
transfer means less losses in the gap, so there's more energy
available to *want* to reflect back to the pri after the first transfer.
In other words it's more likely the gap will re-ignite after the first
energy transfer with tight coupling.

This has all been discussed innumerable times on this list and
elsewhere.  Fiddling with primary tuning or other adjustments does
not solve this.  Have you looked at Terry's valuable papers which
show these effects clearly?

John Freau