[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 05:27:53 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

  Barton, All -

  Coupling is not a critical adjustment for Tesla coils and exact coupling
is not necessary. In fact, when the secondary is  raised if only the
coupling changed the only change would be a reduction in the TC output. The
reason the output does change is because the tuning changes and this is very
important and must be precisely set to obtain maximum output from the TC.

  The problem with raising the sec to prevent sparking and change the tuning
is that there is a better way to design and build Tesla coils. When a TC is
correctly designed, built, and tuned, raising the sec will only reduce the
output until it is zero. A correctly designed TC requires that the pri to
sec clearance be adequate to prevent sparkovers. This is not a critical
parameter because classical Tesla coils operate over a wide range of
couplings from about 0.10 for large coils to about 0.30 for small coils.

If an exact coupling is desired it cannot be done by raising the sec because
chances are the tuning will not be correct. This is not true when the
primary is used to tune the coil.

  Coupling or K factor is only a numerical ratio like pi. With Tesla coils
the coupling is a ratio of inductances. Changing the coupling changes the
inductances which changes the tuning when raising the sec. This does not
happen when the tuning is changed by changing the primary coil. Quenching is
not changed by coupling but it may be changed by tuning and other adjustments.

  It is important to know that raising the sec can be used to "tweak the
tuning" but there is a better way. That is to design the primary with
sufficient clearance to prevent sparkovers instead of having to raise the
sec. The necessary clearance data has been obtained by empirical means by
many coilers in the past. I have incorporated this data into the JHCTES TC
computer program and it appears to be working. The data can only be verified
when other coilers make similar programs for comparison.

  John Couture