[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: wires (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 11:47:06 -0400
From: Tony Lekas <tony-at-lekas-dot-org>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: wires (fwd)

No - Galvanised wire is usually steel wire that is coated with zinc to
prevent rust.  This is the same sort of coating you see on most metal
garbage cans.  A current is run through the molten zinc bath and the
object while it is dipped.  This helps the zinc bond to the metal.  That
is where the name comes from.  "Galvanic"  This wire is not what you
want.

Enameled wire is usually copper wire that is coated with an enamel.
This enamel forms a thin insulating layer on the wire.  This is what you
want.

    Tony