[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Low Power Sparks (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 05:14:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Low Power Sparks

Friday I fired up my 10" TC.  I attempted to fine tune the coil at low power
but got racing sparks on the side of the secondary coil.  When I turned the
power up above 3800 watts to 8000 watts the sparks on the side of the
secondary coil went away.  I was using my 38" diameter stainless sphere as a
top load.  With my 10" x 27" toroid as a top load I get no sparks on the
side of the secondary coil at low power.

The 38" sphere gives me 126" long discharge sparks on the 10" coil.
The 27" toroid gives me 108" long discharge sparks on the 10" coil.

I have noticed the same thing on my 6" coil using the 10" x 27" toroid as
the top load. At low power I get sparks on the side of the secondary coil.
At half power to full power I have no problems with the 27" toroid. When I
use the 5" x 11" toroid at the top load I get no sparks on the side of the
secondary coil at low power.

The 27" toroid gives me 54" long discharge sparks on the 6" coil.
The 11" toroid gives me 48" long discharge sparks on the 6" coil.

The common factor here is the large size of each top load compaired the the
size and power of each coil.

I won't say the top load is too large because they both work and both give
me good discharge sparks at half to full power.  I think there are some
limiting factors here we need to remember when running an over sized top load.

Gary Weaver