[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coilforms, sealants/glyptal (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 14:26:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: Larry Bud Melman <gasman-at-althea.a-line-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Coilforms, sealants/glyptal

 {snip}

> Glyptal is available from two sources I know of.  One is the red corona dope
> marketed in the GC line of TV solvents and chemicals.  Most good electronic
> jobbers carry the GC line of chemicals.  The other is Aldrich chemical with
> still offers it. (expensive in block form)   Glyptal is not as good as some of
> the more modern low vapor pressure materials like Inland seal,  vac-tite or
> others.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

	Richard, and other glyptal advocates:

	I'm a little cunfused about glyptal - only heard of it a couple of posts
ago.  What is the nature and design purpose of the stuff??

	Do you contend that all coilforms should be sealed inside and out with
it, or just cardboard and other forms with 'poorer' electrical qualities?

	I ask this partially because I'm having trouble finding a coilform as
large as I want, and I've been considering just doing a 12 inch one out of
one of those concrete post pouring forms made of spiral-wound cardboard.  I
had been planning, if I used that, to seal the form inside and out with Bondo
fiberglass resin (a two-component product with the 'fiberglass' (?!) resin and
a hardener which is methyl ethyl ketone peroxide.)  I believe this is widely
used for auto body repair.

	I don't know anything about the electrical qualities of the material.
I chose it because it will make the cardboard tube rigid enough.  Any experience
with this stuff?  Would you go ahead and use 'glyptal' after sealing the tube as
I described??

	Thx in advance.

							Clay