[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Observations - Gaps and Arcs (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 23:26:55 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Observations - Gaps and Arcs (fwd)

Terry, CW, and all,

As long as the dissipation PER GAP is kept to a reasonable level, and
the resulting heat carried away from the gap, there's really no reason
why this approach shouldn't be scalable to higher power levels.

For example, in the days of spark radio, very efficient quenching gaps
were made by using a series of relatively heavy copper disks, separated
by thin mica washers, in a sealed atmosphere (to reduce gap fouling from
electrode oxidation). Per-gap spacing was typically 10 mils or less.
Operation quickly resulted in an operating atmosphere consisting
primarily of nitrogen, since the initial free oxygen combines to form
copper oxides.

By providing outside cooling, substantial power could be handled. Per
Morecroft (Principles of Radio, 1921, John Wiley & Sons), these gaps
were used to handle up to 600 H.P.[400 KW!] of input power (Telefunken's
Nauen Station). A similar quenching gap, called the Chaffee gap,
consisted of alternating copper and aluminum electrodes in a moist
hydrogen atmosphere, and was used on systems operating off a HV DC
source, but it was limited to about 200 watts/gap.

The old Spark Radio engineers really knew their stuff...!

-- Bert --