[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:40:35 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

Hi Bill,

> Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 08:52:28 PDT
> From: Bill the arcstarter <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com, couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net
> Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary?
>
> John Couture wrote:
>
> >  You build great coils so I am not going to tell you how to tune your
> >coils. However, a computer can tell you if the tuning equation
> >  LpCp = LsCs   is balanced. The tweeking can be done with taps
> >on the primary of a properly designed and tuned coil.
>
> I have questions regarding how these values are determined.
>
> Lp, Cp, are easily measured using any number of techniques.  But what
> about Ls or Cs?
>
> Does Ls represent the "lumped' inductance of the secondary, measured (as
> above) between the base and top toroid?  I would bet this is the case
> but an not 100% sure.
>
> But the really tricky one is Cs.  The only way I can see to determine
> this is by measuring the actual self resonant frequency of the secondary
> and toroid using a sig gen, 'scope and all that.  Then - you compute Cs
> via the frequency and Ls.
>
> Any hints?  How are you folks determining these values?

Exactly how I do it. I am hoping at some stage to do a comprehensive
series of measurements (in fact an investigation approaching a
thesis) to check out all aspects of Cself, Cterm etc as it relates to
TCs. I may do this as a formal research project for my dept here at
work but that depends on my being able to freely communicate results
to the list and most importantly, getting a suitable laboratory in
which to conduct these measurements. If this cannot be done, I will
undertake the work as best I can outdoors at home but will have to
wait for summer to arrive.

Malcolm