[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE>Best sparks (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:12:24 -0600
From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: RE>Best sparks (fwd)

Hi Dale,

	Thanks for this info.  Since Resistance = Length / ( Conductivity * Area )
the higher ( Conductivity * Area ) is, the lower the resistance.  I added
the conductivities and multiplied them out:

Material	Skin Depth	Conductivity    SD*C

Silver          .064      	6.1		0.3904
Copper          .066      	5.7		0.3762
Gold            .075      	4.1		0.3075
Aluminum        .085      	3.5		0.2975
Chromium        .081      	?
Nickel          .014      	?
Brass           .126      	1.1		0.1386
Magnetic Iron   .011      	.2		0.0022
Mumetal         .00029    	?

SD is in mm at 1 MHz
Conductivity is x 10^7

Silver and copper are the winners here.  Mumetal will loose badly.

As mentioned in a past post, Aluminum has very thick oxide layers (Aluminum
oxide is a very good insulator) that really screws up it's conductivity in
practice.  We use silver plated copper conductors for high current (100 amps
13 MHZ) RF conductors.  Silver oxide is fairly conductive.  Thin gold over
copper is probably the best.  A copper sphere plated with gold would be
really neat!.  However, not very cheap.  Silver plated copper is best on
paper but in practice the oxide would look bad.  The gold over copper would
give the best performance while not having the oxidation problem and would
look good.

	Terry Fritz