[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 00:14:46 -0400
From: Richard Hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

snip

> Disruptive coils rely on rapid energy transfer to the secondary to
> minimize gap losses, and upon streamer loading and gap quenching to
> block secondary:primary energy backfeeding. Disruptive coils run best at
> K's MUCH higher than classical critical coupling. Classical critical
> coupling has no meaningful place in modern day disruptive coiling...

  Bert is absolutely correct!  This is radio stuff and is not for coiling.
Coiling ain't RF engineering.  For those who insist it is  Rf engineering, we must
then, as engineers, seek to maximize all RF power to total loss before any can be
radiated.  With this  outlook, most of the old good rules and regs must be thrown
out, totally reversed or modifiied.

 There is,  never was, and probably never will be a course in RF engineering with
the goal to take vast amounts of power turn it to RF, Run it to a 1/4 wave line
and force losses to maximize in air within a few feet of the end of the line.  The
losses can be in any form other than RF hertzian radiation.

The very concept of critical coupling is totally wrong minded for Tesla coil
construction.

Richard Hull, TCBOR