[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Best sparks (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 18:23:45 -0600
From: "D.C. Cox" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Best sparks

to: Terry, Richard, Tesla List

Terry listed an equation regarding the spectral emission from the arc
itself.  This equation listed the RC time constant as a source for the
generated frequency.  This is incorrect.  RC time constant is a dissipative
factor.  It will not store energy like an LC time constant value and does
not support resonance, in fact, tends to reduce or oppose any resonant
buildup.  These three frequencies all listed by Terry are in fact generated
after the arc discharge travels off the high voltage terminal.  In is not
associated with the capacitance of the sec coil or its inductance.
Standing waves and transmission line effects are produced in the spark
discharge itself and the generated frequencies are not associated with the
fundamental frequencies of the secondary inductor.  These frequencies are
dependent on the geometry and LC constants of the arc channel

As Rich Hull points out, lightning is an example of a rich source of RF
frequencies, however, these frequencies tend to be much lower than
originally suspected.  The Russian scientist, Kapitza, had a theory that a
considerable amount of UHF power was being generated to produce plasma
fireballs, and hence, ball lightning.  Martin Uman, in his book Lightning,
discredits this theory with the references listed in his chapter on the RF
spectrum produced by lightning discharges.  The frequencies are centered in
the low VHF and HF areas with very little power in the UHF bands.

Standing waves are produced between the discharge terminal and the ground
terminal (or point).  As Terry points out in his excellent disertation, a
Tesla secondary inductor equipped with a large top load torus, ie, large
terminal capacitance in relationship to the distributed capacitance of the
coil itself, does not operate with standing waves.  It tends to operate at
one frequency and has no transmission line effects.

The harmonic frequencies at noted by Terry in his coil at 7, 17, and 33 MHZ
can be surpressed by space winding the secondary inductor, or, as Rich Hull
has done --- going to extremely large capacitance top loads to force the
resonator to operate at a single fundamental frequency without a lot of HF
harmonics.

One final note -- the potential distribution along a sec coil operating
with a large cap top load is nearly linear in nature and does not simulate
a sine wave.  We have measured this effect with some experiments in early
1970 when we also started using large capacitance top loads to reduce these
undesireable harmonics and boost potential output on our larger systems.

I trust this information is of assistance to this thread.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Best sparks
> Date: Friday, July 03, 1998 11:33 PM
>

> ----------

Springs
> notes.
> >Typical ranges are from a low of 5mhz to a high of over 200mhz.
Depending
> on about
> >a billion variables.
> >
> >I hope no one still thinks that the resonant frequency of the coil is
the
> frequency
> >of all the electrical energy the visible arc channel of a TC!  Lots of
pure
> >unpulsating single polarity DC is to found in and around sparking TC's
also.
> >Remember the TCBOR electrometer measurements of 1996 and 1997?  The 100
gram
> >rotored DC electrostatic motors run up to 500 rpm using a tesla coil in
> 1997?  The
> >charging of a .1uf, 30KV capacitor from a TC in 1996?   A TC at full
tilt
> outputs
> >DC to light!  Many of the mechanisms are supposedly well understood.
All are
> >simple physics laws coming into play in an insane web of chaotic,
naturally
> self
> >adjusting, multipathed events over often microsecond and submicrosecond
time
> >frames.  Attempting to following all the paths will simply make you nuts
> >
> > Lightning is a prime example of self excited resonating arc channels.
The